Skip Navigation Links

Withdrawing Funds from a Blocked Account

Get a Court Order to Withdraw Money from a Blocked Account

A blocked account is a bank or other account created by court order, requiring a court order to deposit or withdraw funds. Blocked accounts are frequently created to protect judgments awarded to minors, or to protect the money of adults who cannot manage their own finances and have therefore had conservators appointed to manage their assets ("conserved adults"). A court must approve and order any withdrawal of funds from a blocked account. The most common reason to petition a court is to withdraw funds from a blocked account is because the account was created for minor who has subsequently turned 18. Occasionally, a court also grants permission to the parent, guardian, or custodian of a minor or conserved adult with a blocked account if the parent, guardian, or custodian can demonstrate that the withdrawal of the funds is both necessary for and in the best interests of the minor or conserved adult.


The Judicial Council forms commonly used in this procedure are:

Click below to download this guide, with step-by-step instructions and sample forms:

 Withdrawing Funds from a Blocked Account, Step by Step