- Civil Self-Help Center
- The Civil Self-Help Center provides limited legal assistance in qualifying civil cases to those without attorneys, if they have a case in the Sacramento County court or reside in Sacramento County. (En español)
- Free Self-Help Workshops
- Free workshops for Sacramento residents or litigants on establishing a guardianship, discovery in civil cases, and name changes. (En español)
Frequently Requested Topics
- Learn About the Law
- Free online guides to common legal procedures and topics, created by our librarians.
- Self-Help Videos and Audios
- Free downloads with information on court procedures, including name changes, serving court documents, the court-required Conservatorship Video, and more.
- Self-Help Books
- The library has a collection of self help books on various topics designed to assist individuals trying to represent themselves. Publishers include Nolo Press, Sphinx Legal, and many others.
- Self-Help E-books from home
- Patrons can access the electronic versions of do-it-yourself legal books from Nolo Press and other self-help publishers from home or office!
Download Instructions (PDF)
- Lawyers in the Library
- This program offers free 20-minute consultations at the Sacramento County Public Law Library every Monday night for two hours, beginning at 5:15 p.m.
Self-Help Resources from Around the Web
Self-Help Forms and Instructions
LawHelpCA.org helps people of low and moderate incomes find free legal information and legal aid programs in their communities. Resources include general information, your legal rights, and legal aid organizations. Some material in Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, and other languages.
California Courts Online Self-Help Center
http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp.htm?rdeLocaleAttr=es (En español)
Sacramento County Superior Court Self-Help
Family Law Self-Help Center
Self-Help Videos Online
Kern Co. Law Library Videos
Topics include "Your Day in Court" (English and Spanish), guardianship, expungement, custody and visitation, & Medi-Cal.
ADR, LA Co. Superior Court
Videos in English and Spanish about mediation and other types of alternative dispute resolution.
I-Can™ Legal Video Page
Use these videos to learn about court procedures for family law, domestic violence, and small claims cases.
8-part video on filing for bankruptcy from the federal courts.
Sacramento Co. Public Law Library
Self-Help Video Links
For links to many more self-help videos, visit our delicious.com collection at delicious.com/saclaw/video+self-help.