Skip Navigation LinksHome > Learn About the Law > Senior, Disability, and Health Law

Senior, Disability, and Health Law


These organizations may provide assistance with some types of legal questions. Contact these organizations directly for more information about the services provided.

Resources for Seniors 

Adult Protective Services
4875 Broadway 916-874-9377
Services provided:
APS investigates reports of elderly and dependent adults in danger due to abuse, neglect, exploitation, or hazardous or unsafe living conditions. Additionally, APS provides referrals for other county and community services, and can serve as an advocate for elderly and dependent adults in situations with landlords, doctors, hospitals, and other social services.

Community Legal Services – McGeorge School of Law – Elder and Health Law Clinic
3455 Fifth Avenue 916-340-6080
Services provided: Certified law students provide legal advice and undertake representation of individuals 60 and older in the greater Sacramento area.  Priority cases include nursing home residents' rights, Conservatorships and alternatives, family law, Social Security, Medicare, SSI, health care access, housing, elder abuse, creditor/debtor disputes, powers of attorney, advance health care directives, and simple estate planning tools.  

National Senior Citizens Law Center

  • National Legal Resource Center has valuable information and links to legal help for older adults and for advocates as well.
  • The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys has members who help seniors with legal issues; there is and a list of attorneys on their Web site.
  • Legal Services Corporation Directory contains a nationwide directory of attorneys who help low-income older adults in civil (not criminal) matters.
  • The National Disability Rights Network has a directory of disability rights agencies nationwide.
  • The American Bar Association provides useful links to lawyer referral services and pro bono legal help for those with limited incomes.
  • Senior Legal Hotline
    444 North 3rd Street, #312
    Toll Free: (800) 222-1753; Sacramento County: (916) 551-2140; Fax: (916) 551-2197 
    Services provided: Free legal assistance for Sacramento residents age 60 and over on almost any civil issue including estate planning, probate, grandparent rights, landlord/tenant law, pension law, Social Security, and public benefits.  Free legal assistance for Sacramento grandparents/caregiver relatives age 55 and over, or low-income grandparents of any age, on custody or visitation of grandchildren. Free legal assistance for Californians of any age with pension or retirement issues.
    Eligibility: Sacramento residents age 60 or over for legal assistance with civil issues.  Sacramento grandparents/caregiver relatives age 55 and over, or low-income grandparents of any age, on custody or visitation of grandchildren.  Californians of any age for legal assistance with pension issues.

    Resources for People with Disabilities

    ADA Information Line 
    800-514-0301, 800-514-0383 (TTY) 
    Services provided:
    General ADA information. 

    Disability Rights California   
    916-488-9950,  800-776-5746,  1-800-719-5798 (TTY)  
    Services provided:Legal services to people with developmental, mental or other disabilities, including: Information, referral, technical assistance, investigation of abuse/neglect, and direct legal representation in administrative and judicial proceedings to establish and enforce disability-related legal and service rights. 
    Eligibility:Call for an interview.

    Resources for Independent Living 
    420 I Street, Suite 3 916-446-3074
    Services provided:  Helps people with disabilities with a variety of services, including mediation, housing assistance, screening and placement of attendants, peer counseling, and  independent  living skills training.

    Assistance with Health Law Issues

    Legal Services of Northern California Health Rights
    This project has brochures and more info at The Health Consumer Alliance as well.

    California Office of the Patient Advocate: information only (no direct assistance)

    Department of Managed Health Care
    File complaints which the agency rules on, and request Independent Medical Reviews. 
    List of patient rights and benefits.

    Livanta Beneficiary and Family Centered Care Quality Improvement Organizations (BFCC-QIO): Medicare Complaints
    Helps with complaints, appeals, and mediation for Medicare recipients at HMOs.

    HICAP (the Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program) 1-800-434-0222
    Free Medicare Help from Volunteer Counselors

    The Joint Commission: Report a Complaint
    This independent organization accredits and certifies health care agencies. A complaint may be investigated and may affect an agency's accreditation, but the Commission will not represent you. It can give you a list of the standards that deal with your area of concern. 

    Medicare Appeals - Center for Health Dispute Resolution (CHDR)

    Medicare Claims and Appeals
    How to file complaints, or "grievances," about the quality of care or other services you get from a Medicare provider.


    Back to top


    The Sacramento County Public Law Library has links to some of the forms useful in dealing with health and financial management. The Judicial Council creates others. For other situations, you may need to create your own forms. Our Research Guides & Step by Steps have instructions and samples for many commonly-used forms.

    Back to top


    The Law Librarians have created these research guides as an aid for those starting a legal research project. These guides recommend print and electronic resources that will help you find answers to your law-related questions. Guides marked "Step-by-Step"  provide step-by-step information, as well as sample forms, for common legal procedures.

     Back to top


    Everyday Law and Ask the County Law Librarian articles are written by Law Librarians on a variety of common legal issues.


    The Law Librarians created these pamphlets in response to frequently asked questions on subjects not appropriate for more substantive guides. 

    Back to top


    With Heart: Understanding Conservatorship (23:58) (Alameda County)
    Satisfies Sacramento County's requirement that prospective conservators view an approved videotaped presentation on the duties and responsibilities of conservators. (Local Rule 4.40).

    Sacramento County local form:
    Verification that Video Tape of Conservator's Duties has been Viewed (PR-E-LP-020)
    Back to top  


    Hear our very own librarians share legal tips and news you can use on general interest topics.